Wednesday, November 7, 2007

FINAL countdown...Exactly 1 more month!!

Mummy's thoughts:-

It's exactly 1 more month to Baby Louisa's EDD...07 Dec 07.

Have I gotten everything ready? hmmmm....(whips out checklist). Tick, tick, tick,...nope. Not quite ready yet. Gotta get baby soap for Baby Louisa, deco her room (or what would be her room, since she's gonna be in the master bedroom for the first few months...), get more clothes (we've got a few hand me downs, but those are kinda too big for her, I think)

Gotta stock up on all that old ginger, red dates, mee sua, rice...(for confinement).
****

I watched a CNA (Channel News Asia) programme this morning. Yupz, our office TV is tuned to CNA. It was about different birthing methods. The programme was hosted by Lisa Ang and a few mummies gave their experience. It was mainly about alternative birthing methods - hypnobirthing and water birth. I think I will go for the more traditional delivery at the hospital, afterall this is the first child. I have no idea how my body will take to giving birth... However, what struck me in the programme, was what one mother said. She shared about how happy she was opting for that alternative method, because she knew she gave her baby the best present..."by giving birth to him with a calm and relaxed mind" (ok, maybe not the exact words, but something to that extent). But that's it. The best 1st present to give her child was a mother who is calm, relaxed and not fearful of the process. A mother who is not screaming in pain at the process of birthing. Basically, a peaceful birth. Not that other births are not peaceful...imagine this, you are on your way out into this world, and your mother is screaming her guts out at the same time. It does sound like it's a "messy" world to be stepping into. hahaha. But sometimes, it can't be helped.

What she said struck me because I've been quite pre-occupied with worrying about how much pain I can tahan, would I need epidural, would I be screaming my head off etc. But it has never occurred to me to instead, focus on being calm and relaxed during the brith process. The moment I think of giving birth, I'm thinking: head full of perspiration, legs on stirrups, squeezing Daddy's hands, cringing in pain and screaming "I can't take it anymore!"... Hmmm, that shouldn't be the way. The birth process is a unique process, a miracle, enjoyed only by unique people, us FEMALES. So I really shouldn't think about how bad it can be. Rather, I should be thinking about how to enjoy the process. Yes, it sounds like a very tall order, and I do sound unrealistic. Is it a case of "mind over matter"? Hmmm....the moment I think of giving birth, I should be thinking: relaxed process, calm surroundings, my body is just guiding Baby Louisa out into this world.

Time to find a nice soothing CD to pack into the hospital bag to bring into the delivery suite...Hmmm, should I bring the aromatherapy too?

No comments: