Friday, September 21, 2007

First Trimester

Mummy's thoughts:

Was it easy? Well, I must say, I've been lucky. The first trimester (especially for a first-time mum) is never easy. But I have been lucky. Throughout the first trimester, I have had feelings of nausea, but no vomitting. (That, according to almost everybody, is VERY good...). While I had some slight aversions to certain foods such as fish, vege and sweet stuff, I am able to keep whatever I ate, in. Good...There was also no spotting or bleeding. Thank God.

The only "symptoms" I didn't like about the first trimester, were (i) the aching joints (hip joint and aches in the legs, to be specific), and (ii) the extreme fatigue (I fell asleep anywhere, any time).

We were advised by the GP to just go for a gynae visit first to ensure that everything is ok. The very first visit to the gynae was an exciting one...We didn't know what to expect. But we sure had lots of questions prepared. I still remember that day. I'm in the 5th week of pregnancy. I was waiting excitedly for my appointment time. Would an ultrasound scan be carried out? What will I see? It was raining heavily that day. As it turned out, Daddy was not able to make it to the clinic on time. He missed this first gynae visit. But it's ok...

Subsequently, we decided on a gynae at the KK Hospital. Hence, our subsequent visits were at KKH. And Daddy made it to each gynae visit! Especially on those days when he had to rush down from Woodlands (where his place of work is located). It seemed as though our precious little babe knew, and wanted Daddy to be able to see her (then, babe was referred to as "it"). He was always just on time!

It was an absolutely amazing feeling - indescribable - when I first saw the heartbeat on the screen (during the 7th week). That tiny, blinking blip on the screen is the heartbeat. Awwwww.....Baby was just a little sac then. But that didn't prevent Daddy from talking to Baby. Hehs...

No comments: