Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Difficulties of Pregnancy

Everything has its opposites, even pregnancy. It comes with its ups and downs, joys and difficulties. After the joys of pregnancy, how can I leave out the difficulties of pregnancy? These difficulties are from the perspective of the Mummy…(I have no idea what pregnancy difficulties Daddy experiences…it’s quite difficult to get Daddy to post his thoughts on a regular basis. He’s busy.)

(I never had vomiting during the first trimester, just some nausea which took me a few weeks to get used to and aches in the joints)

Firstly, there are the back aches. My back is totally aching lots. Especially when I’m at work (hmmm, is this a work–related ailment? Like those “Monday Blues” symptoms…). Perhaps it’s the chair. But whatever, the back aches. Ouch. And now, the ribs are starting to feel sore.

Then there’s also the terrible discomfort when I try to catch the snooze monster at night. I’m already feeling sooooo sleepy, but yet, every position that I lay down in, is not comfortable. Lie on my left side…nope. Right side…cannot. Prop pillows up and lay back…no, still not comfy. Cannot breathe well.

To top it off, Baby Louisa kicks a lot at night too. Just when I’m about to doze off due to sleepy-ness in the not-so-comfortable position, she’ll either kick hard, stretch or the uterus will start to harden. Arrgghhh….(anguish / agony).

As a result, I hardly get much sleep at night. Even if I do manage to enter dreamland, it’s not a very restful sleep (not in a comfortable enough position). Hence, I’m always half awake in office during the day.

Why does the uterus harden? Is Baby Louisa stretching herself and pushing her back/bum up against my belly? Or is it the body getting ready for labour contractions? Is this what they call Braxton Hicks contractions?

It is not painful…just very uncomfortable. I can feel the uterus squeeeeeze itself...like squeezing the air out of me. Cannot breathe…….Oooohhh…..In order to relief the discomfort, I’ll have to take deep breathes. (Good chance to practice all that breathing exercises learnt form the antenatal classes.) This goes on a few times at night…until I’m waaay too tired and just KO.

The difficulties of pregnancy.

No comments: